Swimming is a sport related to racing done in water. Swimming races can be done individually as well as in a team. It is a famous water sport played around the world. People find swimming a great activity to make their body fit and healthy. However, this activity is a little challenging as it requires skills and techniques to be practised. In this, you have to cope with the management of breath and try to remain afloat in the water while swimming.
You will find that there are many types or styles of swimming such as backstroke, butterfly, etc. These are the different styles of how you use your limbs, such as hands and legs, to move forward in the water. Swimming is a competitive sport, and it’s being played in the Olympics.
There are specific swimming rules and regulations that one should have to follow while competing in any tournament.
Swimming Styles And Its Rule
- Freestyle. In this style of swimming, the swimmer is allowed to swim in any style, but the condition is that some part of the body needs to touch the wall while completing the race. In addition, the swimmer is allowed to remain completed submerged in the water for a maximum of 15 meters.
- Backstroke. As the name suggests, the swimmer needs to complete the whole race while swimming from the back facing downward to the water. While taking a turn in the race, the swimmer is exempted from the rule and can turn his back to turn usually. The rule of breaking some part of his to the surface throughout the race is also the same as freestyle.
- Breaststroke. The swimmer needs to do the swimming with their breast on; he cannot roll back the body at any moment. Also, you will find that in the breaststroke, the movement of limbs that is of hands and legs are in simultaneous motion. Therefore, the feet of the swimmer should be turned outside during the use of legs to swim.
General Rules For The Race
- The standard swimming pool size according to international level is 25 meters. Therefore, the swimming pool has different lines or lanes for the number of swimmers participating in the race.
- Swimming is a time-based race; any swimmer who covers a certain distance faster than the other competitors wins the race.
- In the race, the swimmer needs to cover the whole distance to win the race.
- There are lanes or lines in the swimming contest, so the swimmer must complete the race the line he was given and start the race.
- The swimmer can not disturb the other player’s movement, or there could not be any physical contact between the two swimmers.
- The player blocking the other’s swimmer line of fouling on any other swimmer can result in dismissal from the race.
- There are methods that should be taken care of while turning in the swimming race; players abiding by this law will face disqualification.
- In a relay race where many swimmers of each team take part, they should start their swimming once the other member has reached the starting line. And each member is allowed to race only one time in the relay race.
Health Benefits Of Swimming
Builds the muscle and mass of the body – swimming can help you to gain muscle mass in the body. Swimming affects the triceps and biceps muscles and helps them to increase at a faster rate than any other activity. Swimming is a hard and challenging activity that requires sheer muscle strength of the hands to overcome the resistance of the water. This practice helps in building the muscle of the body and the limbs.
Some people swim because they find swimming great to reduce fat and burn calories. The study found that swimming can burn an average of 500 to 650 calories per hour. Also, the people get in shape by swimming in very few days, which is a great advantage.
Relaxation And Stress Relief
Slow pace swimming can provide relief and help to reduce stress. At the same time, swimming and underwater, all of your stress and anxiety get disappeared. This calms the mind and relaxes every part of the body.
Thus overall the swimming is good for the health of the individual, and anyone can swim. It does not matter what the age of the person is, even swimming is good for the children too. It is better for building strength and muscle in the body.